Background of Majlis Perbandaran Kota Bharu
Kota Bharu Municipal Council (MPKB) is an organization under the Government State Council which operates around the town of Kota Bharu including 65 sections. It oversees 115.64 kilometer square of the vicinity including the areas from Pantai Cahaya Bulan to Pantai Sabak at the northern part, the area around the boundary of Batu 5, Jalan Pasir Mas and Jalan Kuala Krai to Pasir Tumboh bridge at the southern part, Sungai Pengkalan Datu and Wakaf Stan at the eastern part and Sungai Kelantan at the western part.
The vicinity of MPKB is a strategic place of development for Negeri Kelantan with Kota Bharu as its centre of administration, trade and finance. Pengkalan Chepa acts as industrial centre and Kubang Kerian as institution centre.
Kota Bharu was built in 1844 and was announced as the governing centre of by Kebawah Duli Yang Mulia Al-Marhum Sultan Muhammad Ke-II. In 1936, Kota Bharu was upgraded to Kota Bharu Municipal Council (MBKB). MBKB was diminished and changed to Board of Municipal in 1971. In 1978 Kota Bharu was restructured and upgraded to Kota Bharu Municipal Council again.